At the time of the Ottoman Empire in the nineteenth century, Macedonia streets through which they passed caravans were in very bad condition, making travel and transportation is very difficult. They were the old Roman roads which until then were never recovered.
In the nineteenth century, before the railway line was built on the territory of Macedonia, mainly used were horses, camels and mules. Goods which were transported from the center of Macedonia, and goods that passed through the territory of Macedonia created conditions for the development of renters, which became the main source of the existence of hundreds of thousands of families.
Such Macedonia road network has been one of the main intersections in the region. However, due to the low level of economic development, the Ottoman Empire was unable to keep caring for roads.
The true initiators for the construction of railways in the Ottoman Empire were Western European countries, which were interested in the economic and political development of this country.
In the early sixties of the nineteenth century prepared a special commission for the network construction of a railway project in the European part of the Ottoman Empire which, by long time of misunderstandings, was finally accepted, provided for the construction of about 2,500 kilometers of rail network.
On 9 February 1871 he began the construction of the railway line Thessaloniki - Mitrovica from shareholders led by Austrian and Brussels banker, Baron Hirsch.
On 9 April 1873, is issued for use of the railway traffic Thessaloniki - Velez, at that time the most modern communications assets and was conducted first contact rail between these two cities. For a short time built the second section to Skopje, where the first train arrived officially on 9 August 1873 and was completed with the general rail infrastructure which passes through our territory.
Shortly after the release of the line Thessaloniki - Skopje, began the construction of the third section and the fourth rail line to Mitrovica, which was released for use in December of 1874.
With the construction of the line Thessaloniki - Skopje - Mitrovica was actualized the issue of the railway connection with neighboring countries and with Europe. Article 10 of the Berlin agreement, the Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria and Serbia were linked to construct railway lines in their territories which would be linked to European railways and will remain part of the international railway network.
In 1882 in Vienna was called a conference in which took part representatives from Austria, Turkey, Bulgaria and Serbia in which the convention was signed for the construction of the railway network and link East - West.
Construction of the railway between Skopje and Vranje began in late July of 1885 by entrepreneur Vitalis and was delivered by the Turkish governors of 9 July 1887.
Exactly six years after the signing of the Vienna Convention, in May 1888 on the border with Serbia, or in Zibevce station was officially closed connection between Oriental and Serbian railways, namely rail link to western and central Europe.
Construction of the railway Thessaloniki - Vertekop - Bitola began in 1891. The purpose of this line was to link the Adriatic coast where the old Roman highway passing - Via Egnatia. Railways which was built up in Bitola, was inaugurated on 14 June 1894.
After the construction of the railway construction was halted rail lines in the European part of Turkey. This interruption was caused by events that occurred in the Balkans
In 1913, the division of Macedonia, rail by rail staff Oriental Ottoman Empire was withdrawn, and the introduction of railways in reformatories occupation of Macedonia suffered major turbulence.
Until World War II the Macedonian railways are almost exclusively used for military purposes or for transporting troops.
With the recent completion of the Balkan War, Macedonian railways until 1914 were under Serb occupation, while network traffic is trusted in military custody Rail Inspection (IMG).
With the start of the first World War Macedonian front was opened between two warring blocs. On one side were Austria, Hungary, Germany and Bulgaria, while the other side of the Entente powers which included France, England, Serbia and Greece. The need for front Railways started building the narrow-gauge faster transport of weapons and soldiers.
After World War I followed a period when Macedonia was at the most threatening political position. Victorious imperialist powers against the wishes and aspirations of the Macedonian people to self-determination, with new peace agreement, with minor corrections confirmed the artificial division of Macedonia since 1913, causing greater historical injustice against the Macedonian people.
Divided into four parts, the Macedonians were found in the printing of new national policy, followed by strikes against the merciless exploitation of railway workers during the construction of new lines.
After the end of World War I imposed the need for reconstruction of the main railway arteries, especially the railway lines which had international connections. Also it was necessary to rebuild the station buildings that were destroyed during the war.
On 25 August 1926 the public transport lines was also released Veles - Kocani.
Line Prilep - Bitola is filed and issued in action on 7 April 1931. On 19 September 1932 the railway was being built Prilep - Veles through Bogmanilles. This railroad was completed on 20 January 1936. This was over the entire rail network that are in our country.
After that followed the Second World War during which the use of our railway lines carry furcated new occupation: Nazi Germany and its allies Italy and Bulgaria.
In that period the German occupiers began to assemble new telecommunications and equipment for protection SS rail which was used for military and other purposes. The entire staff was then replaced with staff who led the Bulgarian railways.
At the end of the war, before retreating forces occupying the entire infrastructure was destroyed and looted railway network and all instruments were expensive and rare being transferred to Bulgaria.
After liberation in 1944 to rebuild the entire railway network and railways for the first time in Macedonia in the first session of ASNOM won sovereignty and was renamed as the State Railways of Macedonia.
In 1945 came to renaming the Federal Railways Railway in Macedonia and took this name until 1947, but after that it bears the name of Railway Transport Enterprise - Skopje (NTH - Skopje).
In the period after World War II up to the independence of Macedonia, characterized railway development plan for the construction of new railway lines, modernization of safety signals and telecommunication facilities, electrification of the railway corridor 10, removal of the rail line close Skopje - Ohrid due to the ineffectiveness of normal railway reconstruction, but only up to Kicevo, but due to the then government's policy of ex - Yugoslavia was not established rail link with Albania, Skopje node construction, building transportation center in Skopje and many other repairs on all rail lines.
With the independence of the Republic of Macedonia, the railway became a separate railway administration which is called Macedonian Railways.
On 1 July 1993, Macedonian Railways as independent enterprises became members of the International Union of Railways (IUR) of the General Assembly which was held in Lisbon
In August of 2007, PE Macedonian Railways was transferred in accordance with European Union directives, and from two railway enterprises today PE Infrastructure Macedonian Railways and Transport Macedonian Railways JSC.
PE Infrastructure MR invests in trying to maintain and develop the railway infrastructure in order to provide fast and ride quality for passengers and transport of goods. Rail transport is becoming more attractive way of transportation in comparison with other ways of travel because most people contribute to environmental protection.
The company's plans for the future are the reconstruction of Corridor 10 and the construction of Corridor 8.